Where to Certify Documents in Montreal

Note: The Chambre des notaires only certifies documents signed by a notary. We cannot certify documents signed by lawyers or notaries. Your documents can be certified free of charge by Service Canada staff. You can certify your documents at any Service Canada Centre. Step 2: Send your application form and the documents to be certified to the Chambre des notaires: If you are located outside Australia, you can have your documents certified by an Australian embassy or consulate. A “certified true copy” of a document is a copy of a document that has been certified as a true copy of the original. To make a certified copy of your document, you must bring the original and a photocopy to a Canadian notary. The notary compares the copy with the original and certifies the copy by affixing his signature and seal directly to the copy. This type of certification certifies that the document is a certified true copy of the original. Please note that you cannot certify photocopies of your own documents. You also can`t ask your parent to do it for you. If someone above certifies your documents, they must meet the following criteria. You must: It is recommended that you consult the websites of the consulates of the countries where the documents are to be used to confirm the specific requirements of each country.

(a) Send the documents by post or with a carrier or courier of your choice to the address below: 1In states where notaries are legally authorized to certify that a copy of a document is true. Your documents will be kept in secure lockers in the lobby of the Chambre des notaires du Québec office. We will call or email you once your application has been processed to tell you how to retrieve your documents. The following information must be affixed to the documents submitted to the notary or in a separate document (certification or notarial declaration): Certification, oath, notarial, legalization, authentication, legalization of documents Certification of documents written in a language other than English or French IMPORTANT – Please note that your documents may require additional certification required by the consulate of the country in which they must be used and/or Global Affairs Canada. As Canada is not a party to the Hague Apostille Convention, a document required to be submitted abroad may require certification by various authorities. The secretary of the order is the person authorized to certify the official signature of a notary, a member or a former member of the Chambre des notaires du Québec that appears on those documents. The certificate of authenticity issued by the Chamber of Notaries not only confirms that the original signature on the documents corresponds to the signature of a notary deposited with the Secretary of the Order in accordance with the Notaries Act, but also establishes his status as a notary. Documents may require “certification” by a notary and various organizations to be valid abroad.

For various reasons, a client may ask a notary to affix his signature, initials or seal on various documents to be used abroad to give them probative value. To find the recognized authorities, select the country or territory where your documents were issued. If you are submitting documents other than notarial deeds to a notary, please note that certain endorsements are required for certification. Subsequently, and if applicable, these documents must be brought to the consulate of the country where they will be used and/or to Global Affairs Canada so that the signature of the Secretary of the Order can be certified. The validation of signatures at different levels gives documents probative value to be valid abroad. Note: Before applying for accreditation with the Chambre des notaires du Québec, make sure that the required information appears on the documents (see point 3). Otherwise, the certification cannot be completed and the documents will be rejected. If one or more of the above required endorsements are missing, the College will not be able to certify the documents, so incomplete documents will be rejected. If the notary does not understand the foreign language contained in the documents submitted (all documents written in whole or in part in a language other than French or English), the documents must be accompanied by a certified translation made by a member of the Ordre des traducteurs, terminologues et interprètes agréés du Québec (OTTIAQ) so that the notary knows the content of the documents and adds the necessary notes mentioned above. You must check whether your documents need to be presented to the consulate of the country where they are to be used, so that the signature of the Secretary of the Order can be recertified.

Although a certified copy does not exist in Japan, a Japanese notary (koshonin) can certify the authenticity of copies of diplomas or other documents. This person can issue a document called a tohon ninsho, which can replace a certified copy. For more information, visit the website of the National Notarial Associations of Japan. For more information on notarial and remote authentication services, please visit the recently updated website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Please note that remote notarial services can only be provided in accordance with U.S. laws and regulations.

× How can I help you?